Voter Registration General Information

The Portage County Board of Elections maintains the official list of registered voters in Portage County. Currently, Portage County has over 108,000 registered voters.

What are the qualifications to register to vote in Ohio?

  • You are a citizen of the United States;
  • You will be at least 18 years old on or before the day of the next general election;
  • You will be a resident of Ohio for at least 30 consecutive days immediately before the election in which you want to vote;
  • You are not incarcerated (in prison or jail) for a felony conviction under the laws of this state, another state or the United States;
  • You have not been declared incompetent for voting purposes by a probate court; and
  • You have not been permanently disenfranchised for violating the election laws.

How can I register to vote?

You may register to vote online, by mail using our downloadable Voter Registration Application or in person at a designated location listed below.

Please return your completed voter registration form by mail to: Portage County Board of Elections, 449 S. Meridian Street, Room 101, Ravenna, OH 44266

What are my obligations to keep the board of elections informed of address or name changes?

If you are already registered to vote in Ohio, but have moved within Ohio and/or changed your name, you must update your voter registration by submitting a new voter registration form or change of address form for your new residence.

Where can I register to vote in person?

  • The board of elections office;
  • The office of the Registrar or any Deputy Registrar of the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles;
  • Public libraries;
  • Public high schools or vocational schools;
  • County treasurer’s offices; or
  • Offices of designated agencies, including:
    • The Department of Job and Family Services;
    • The Department of Health (including the Women, Infants and Children (WIC) program);
    • The Department of Mental Health;
    • The Department of Developmental Disabilities;
    • The Rehabilitation Services Commission; or
    • Any state-assisted college or university that provides assistance to disabled students.