What is a Junior Ranger?
Someone like you who completes activities and promises to help care for and learn more about our parks and trails. It's an important job!
Junior Ranger Activities
The Junior Ranger program is primarily self-guided and intended for ages 5-12 but is fun for any age! Once you get your booklet - work on completing all 16 activities to earn your Junior Ranger Badge. Once all the activities are complete, you can register for a badge-pinning ceremony with a Portage Park District Ranger.
As you complete the activities you will learn about some of the places and stories that make the Portage Parks unique. Your Junior Ranger Activities will be a part of your wonderful adventures in the natural world.
The Junior Ranger Program is underway! If you would like to participate, please call 330-297-7728 to schedule a time to pick up your booklet. This program is self-guided, but check the Things To Do page for some guided Junior Ranger events led by park staff. In August, we will be hosting a pinning ceremony for Junior Rangers that complete their booklet!
*Use this link to download and print your own booklet.
Reminders from Owlbert
- As you observe wildlife always remember that this is their home and that you are a guest in it.
- Be gentle and kind as you observe.
- Always observe creatures from a safe distance and never approach a wild animal.
- If you lift a rock or log to see what lives under it, be sure to carefully replace it so that you do not crush the inhabitants.
- Please don't pick the flowers. Leave them for others to see and for next year's growth
Acknowledgments: We'd like to thank Nancy Smith for her help in designing this program and curating these activities to help young minds explore Portage Parks. We are eternally grateful.